Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Little Pea Plants

I wanted to grow Indian peas here in WA, but I couldn't find seeds for Indian Peas (English Peas) in any store here. So I decided to grow them from the dried peas I had at home. You can get dried green peas at any Indian grocery store.

Just like my methi plants, I sprouted the peas for about a week and when the sprouts grew about an inch tall, I put them in a container full of potting soil. I layered(about 1/2 inch) more soil on the seeds,to partly cover them and sprayed some water, to keep the soil moist.

To my surprise, just after 4-5 days, the sprouts started getting leaves. Here is a picture of the tinly leaves on my tiny pea plants:)
Yesterday, I transplated my pea plants out on the ground. Pea plants like cold weather, so it is actually advisible to plant them directly outdoor. I had to get rid of moss in my backyard, so I started the plants indoor.

I will update this post with new pictures if the plants survived outside:) I have heard that some plants do well even after transplanting and some plants don't. Hopefully pea plants are sturdy enough and can survive after transplanting.

Method (notes) for sprouting the seeds:
1. Soak the seeds overnight.
2. Drain all the water and spread the seeds on a cotton cloth.
3. Loosley wrap the cloth around the seeds and keep it in a warm place (if possible).
4. The cloth should be damp all the time. If the cloth starts drying you can either rinse the seeds with more water and wrap them again in the cloth, or spray some water on the cloth.
5. You will start seeing sprouts in a day or two. Once the sprouts are about an inch long (6-7 days depending on the sprouts' growth), you can directly plant the seeds outdoors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read some good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you place to create any such fantastic informative website.
Also visit my weblog ; internet cash advance pa

Post a Comment